httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Sat, 23 Aug 1997 13:18:28 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 09:33 AM 8/22/97 -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >Apply this to each component during directory_walk:
> >
> >    if (name is not 8.3) {
> >       it's fine, continue on
> >    } else if (name does not contain ~) {
> >       it's fine, continue on
> >    } else {
> >       perform a short -> long mapping on this component
> >       if (they're different) {
> >           return BAD_REQUEST;
> >       }
> >    }
> >
> >Make that a function.  Because you'll need it in sub_req_lookup_file()s
> >simple case as well.
> >
> >This avoids extra system call overhead except when it's really required.
> >It's possible to have shortnames without ~ but Windows never generates
> >them, so the user gets what they're asking for if they do silly things
> >like that.
>
> This looks really good to me.  Any reason this isn't deterministic, Ben?

I think it looks OK. One thing that worries me is the statement that
Windows never generates a short name without ~. Do we know that for
sure? Also, what about other filesystems with long/short name support?

Hmmm ... I've just checked out what Novell does - short names do _not_
contain ~ (or any other special character). So I guess that idea is out
of the window. I suppose we can still do it if they are 8.3.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org