httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:32:03 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > > I wonder if trying to expand filenames is really the right thing to do.
> > > Couldn't we just convert all filenames to short form and *always* work
> > > internally with the short form? So the first stage of parsing <Directive
> > > ...>, ScriptAlias ... etc is to munge the filename or path to a short
> > > form. And when a request URI is transformed to a filename also convert it
> > > to a short form.
> >
> > I think this is a bad idea, coz it requires people to write regexes for
> > the short form.
>
> Oh buggrit. But does this mean that short form names will *not* match
> regexes?

Errr ... not sure what you are asking, so I'll try to cover all the
bases. Since things have two names under Win32, we can choose at least
four different routes:

1. Match against both names, either matching counts as a match
2. Match against both names, both matching counts as a match
3. Match against the short name
4. Match against the long name

1, well, I'm not so keen. 2 is clearly silly. 3 is OK. 4 is better. IMO.

Currently, we do 4 (or we try to).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org