httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:12:26 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Well, I finally got VC++ 5 to debug Apache (I had to set the working
> > directory to ...\apachen\CoreD, or it complained that it couldn't find
> > ApacheCore.dll [which is not what the manual sez]), to look into the
> > spaces in executables thing.
>
> Heh, I can never get that to work in 4.2 or 5.0. Even if the full path to
> the DLL was added to the "extra DLLs" section in the debug configuration.
>
> > BTW, the reason I was doing this at all was testing name
> > canonicalisation on CGIs. The result is this (on a request of
> > .../scripts/copy_o~1.bat):
> >
> > SCRIPT_FILENAME=c:/apachetest/scripts/copy_of_t1.bat
> > REQUEST_URI=/scripts/copy_o~1.bat
> > SCRIPT_NAME=/scripts/copy_o~1.bat
>
> I wonder if trying to expand filenames is really the right thing to do.
> Couldn't we just convert all filenames to short form and *always* work
> internally with the short form? So the first stage of parsing <Directive
> ...>, ScriptAlias ... etc is to munge the filename or path to a short
> form. And when a request URI is transformed to a filename also convert it
> to a short form.

I think this is a bad idea, coz it requires people to write regexes for
the short form.

> I am getting worried about the amount of effort required to ensure that
> things like security checks will work when there are multiple possible
> pathnames for the same directory or resource.

The effort required for this was fairly small, really (one extra
function call, and a few tens of lines of code). It does need some
cleanup, though.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org