httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:54:08 GMT
Well, I finally got VC++ 5 to debug Apache (I had to set the working
directory to ...\apachen\CoreD, or it complained that it couldn't find
ApacheCore.dll [which is not what the manual sez]), to look into the
spaces in executables thing.

The good news is, it ain't our fault. Basicly what happens is this;
spawnle() (and friends) reconstruct a command line (separated with guess
what? Yes! Spaces!) and end up, after a _lot_ of messing about, by
calling CreateProcess(), which, I presume, parses the command line in an
entirely wrong way, and fails. The strange thing is, it thinks it
succeeded. Possibly this is because I'm using a .BAT file to test this,
and what it does is run CMD.EXE (or whatever it is called these days)
which works, of course, but then goes splat coz it can't find the batch
file. Or something.

So much for long filename support.

There may be a way to work around this, but I can't be bothered.

BTW, the reason I was doing this at all was testing name
canonicalisation on CGIs. The result is this (on a request of
.../scripts/copy_o~1.bat):

SCRIPT_FILENAME=c:/apachetest/scripts/copy_of_t1.bat
REQUEST_URI=/scripts/copy_o~1.bat
SCRIPT_NAME=/scripts/copy_o~1.bat

Is that what people would expect?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org