httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Win32 name canonicalisation
Date Thu, 14 Aug 1997 18:51:48 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > - decree that shortnames are not valid components period.  Do a long->short
> >     (this is the cheap one right?) conversion on all components and
> >     if they differ then deny access.
>
> Hmm. Not a bad idea. But it doesn't sound right? If I want long
> filenames, and a long->short conversion differs, wouldn't I want to allow
> access, not deny access? Unless the long name was less than 8.3
> characters long, in which case they'd be the same.

It doesn't work at all, surely. We can't long->short regexps for
starters, and the scheme doesn't enforce the "shortnames are not valid
components" idea, either.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org