httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposed ANNOUNCE for 1.2.2 (II)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:56:52 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Traditionally, test tarballs have been test tarballes; not release ready
> and a new one has to be rolled.  Once the new one deemed to be the final
> version is rolled, then it is left for a day or two and people test it
> even more before being released.  By the time we got to rolling the final
> tarball, it was almost certain that either that version would go out and
> the version was incrementend to the next -dev right away.
>
> You are doing things differently.  It did not appear clearly to me that
> you were doing things that way.  That is the biggest cause of my concern.
>
> I prefer doing it the old way, but that is just my preference.  If people
> like this way, thats fine.  Just make it clear...

The old way is how we have agreed several times to do it. It is better
because "pre-release" tarballs leak out, and then we don't know which
version people are really running.

If a tarball with 1.2.2 as the version is not ultimately used for a
release, then we have to bump the release number to 1.2.3.

We already had to do this once in the past.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org