httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: got the license for InstallShield
Date Fri, 08 Aug 1997 19:37:15 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > We got a license for InstallShield for Apache NT.  They'll be emailing the
> > paperwork; I had it made out to "the Apache Group", which is what our code
> > license is under.  This is InstallShield 5, with "Packaged for the Web",
> > which means people just download an executable, run it, and it uncompresses
> > itself and launches into the install process.  Woohoo!
>
> Which installs exactly what? Here are my thoughts:
>
> I suspect we should use this only for the binary version of Apache, not
> for the source version (which should be identical to the Unix sources,
> except for line breaks, as we do now).
>
> As we've agreed before, since 99.9% of Windows users do not own
> compilers, wheras 99.9% of Unix users do, it is perferable to more
> tightly integrate binaries with the Windows release than we do with the
> Unix ones. This means, for one thing, creating binary releases for each
> and every release of Apache, including betas and maintenance releases (do
> you know how many Unix binaries of 1.2.1 we have available? None). After
> we hash this out, a lot will have to be added to
> dev.apache.org/how-to-release:
>
> So I suspect we should do something like this with www.apache.org/dist:
>
> /dist/apache_1.3.x.tar.gz           -  Unix tarred + gzipped source
> /dist/apache_1.3.x.tar.Z            -  Unix tarred + compressed source
> /dist/binaries/                     -  Unix binaries + source
> /dist/windows/apache_1.3.x.exe      -  Win32 with InstallShield
> /dist/windows/apache_1.3.x-src.zip  -  Win32 zipped source
>
> The fourth line down would be a binary version (no source) of the current
> version of Apache, with an InstallShield that unpacked basically the
> following:
>
> \Apache\Apache.exe
> \Apache\ApacheCore.dll
> \Apache\conf\*                      - Conf files (Create if not already there?)
> \Apache\logs\                       - Empty directory
> \Apache\modules\*.dll               - Extension modules
> \Apache\readme.txt                  - A readme file (to be written)
> \Apache\htdocs\*                    - "It worked!"
> \Apache\htdocs\manual\*             - docs
>
> The Windows source file would be the same as the Unix one, except for
> crlf linebreaks instead of lf.

You have to add to that list the MS runtime DLLs (and the appropriate
version checks, etc.)

> I'd like to be able to include the tools that create the InstallShield
> with the source releases, so that those downloading the source can play
> with it. I suspect that the InstallShield license does not give us the
> ability to do this (especially since the Apache license allows the Apache
> distribution to be redistributed commercially, I'm 99% possitive the
> InstallShield people wouldn't like). We would probably want to include
> whatever configuration files InstallShield needs, though, so people who
> owned InstallShield (including the Apache Group, when it creates the
> binary version of Apache/Windows) could create our installer. Though I
> have to admit I'm not that familiar with the program, so I may be wrong.
>
> How does that all sound?

Good, apart from the omission. I'm sure you are right about
redistributing InstallShield, but I certainly hope we can redistribute
its config files.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
ben@algroup.co.uk