httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Hyperreal II
Date Thu, 28 Aug 1997 00:35:11 GMT
At 07:00 PM 8/27/97 -0500, Randy Terbush wrote:
>You probably don't want to discuss this.. but. :-)

No problem, I've got what I think are good reasons for each.

>> Ordered from Net Express, http://www.tdl.com/~netex/
>>
>>   AIR P6NDI Motherboard (dual PPro)
>
>I've heard Bad Things about the AIR.

Actually the place I ordered from appears to specialize in Linux & FreeBSD
installs, and recommended this board, particularly for high-RAM
configurations.  I wanted a board which could eventually support a gig of
memory :)  Any pointers you might have to such Bad Reports might be good.
I have learned that you can't always trust things you read on the net, even
from folks who think they know what they're talking about.

>>   3COM 3c905 100/10baseT
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The Intels are a bit cheaper and work better under FreeBSD.

But they work far worse under Linux.

>>   Yamaha CD-R 400
>>   Quantum 9.1G UW hd (I'll be using hd's from the current taz too)
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>4 - 2GB would be better.

I will be bringing the other discs over from Taz, and will probably buy a
second buslogics SCSI card for them since they're just fast-narrow scsi.
The 9G will be the system disc and home directories (home directories will
also have mail in them) and possibly logging directories, while the other
4G Seagates from taz will have the public web stuff and things like /var.
The 9G allows me to move stuff in such a way as I don't have to do a full
dump from BSDI then restore to Linux, I can unload taz one disk at a time.

>>   RedHat Linux
>Can we talk about that? :-)

I chose Linux over FreeBSD in the end because Linux appears to have better
Java support, and it appears it will stay that way.  Of all the Linuxes, I
felt RedHat were the most serious about creating a stable server platform
(whereas if this was a desktop I would probably have chosen Caldera).  But
I'm willing to consider more arguments for or against, privately :)  Maybe
I'll make it dual-boot, and have it switch OS's at midnight, just for fun....

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org