httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: thoughts on a new config language
Date Tue, 26 Aug 1997 03:10:50 GMT
At 08:21 PM 8/22/97 -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>I'm trying to introduce scoping.  A module-name introduces a scope in
>which all of the directives for that module are valid.  A directive
>can introduce a scope in which its subdirectives are valid.
>
>It seems possible to make scoping optional provided there is no ambiguity.
>That is, provided no two modules define the directive buffered-logs
>then you could use buffered-logs without a scope.  But as soon as two
>modules define buffered-logs then any use of the token "buffered-logs"
>would be an error unless it was scoped.

The only place I see real benefit for this is in modules which implement
the same features in different ways; for example, the mod_auth_* directives
could all have a common set of second-level directives like "passwdfile"
"groupfile" etc.  Otherwise I don't see much benefit from it; the biggest
issue we have is scoping things by directory/vhost/location/file, this just
seems like syntactic sugar.

On a related note, security methods are something I'd like to see; I.e
something where you say

  DefineSecurityMethod ChosenFew {
	 AuthType Basic
        AuthGroupFile /path/to/file
	 AuthName "off-limits except to the chosen few"
  }

And then somewhere in a per-dir or per-vhost you put

  SecurityMethod ChosenFew

and the above applies.  Of course, I suppose that could be done with m4
macros and the like.

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org