httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Can't access bugdb - get hyperreal error page (fwd)
Date Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:55:07 GMT

>Over the past few weeks I've attempted to get to the bugs database
>in a variety of ways, and every time, www.apache.org/bugdb.cgi
>is redirected to http://bugs.apache.org/, where I get the 'error' page
>included below.  The list does not include the apache bug database.
>
>I'm sure I'm not the only one whose <QUOTE> browser does not support
>the HTTP/1.1 "Host:" header </QUOTE>, eh?   What's going on??

Which browser are you using?  Netscape has included it since 2.0, MSIE
since 3.0, Lynx since 2.5, and almost all other browsers in their most
recent version support it.  I'd love to hear of a browser where "upgrade to
the most recent version" is not an acceptible answer.  Though certainly
we'd never demand you upgrade to NS4 or IE4.  :)

>I took a wild guess and tried bugs.apache.org/apache/ and lo and behold,
>up comes apache's home page.  I tried bugs.apache.org/apache/bugdb.cgi
>and I was rewarded with the bugdb page.  Finally.
>
>The various bugdb.cgi links from pages within bugs.apache.org/apache/
>don't work, either - same result - 'error' page from hyperreal.

The problem is, and the reason the bugdb is a separate Host-based
virtualhost, is that the bugdb needs to run with a special user-ID in order
to access the bug database maintenance programs.  The most secure way to
accomplish that is with a separate vhost for the bugdb.  So you might be
able to get to that page, but you really won't be able to submit any bug
reports successfully through it.
It might appear to work, but will fail mysteriously...

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org