httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Elizabeth Mattijsen <...@xxLINK.nl>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:06:03 GMT
At 15:54 8/22/97 +0200, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>> If it is possible to munge the requested filename before matching, I guess
>> the best solution would be to:
>No, because munging is nondeterministic. A specific mangled name can
>at two points in time be "the short name" for two different long names.

Yep, you're right.  Yuck.  Hadn't realised that, even though I'm working
with Win95 for the past 1.5 years already.  Guess I don't see too many
munged filenames anymore...

>The connection some-long-name <--> some-short-name is created when the
>file is created/renamed. But the next time you try it, different
>outcomings can result.

Wouldn't it make sense then to indeed only check the requested filename
with the long filename and not allow any munged filenames as a requested
filename at all?

The munged filenames were only done so that pre-WIn95 programs would still
be able to access long filenames.  Apache is not such a program, therefore
it should simply not allow munged filenames at all because of the security
implications involved.  Is there a good reason for allowing munged
filenames in requests?

Anyway, I can think of several methods to bypass security measures if
munged filenames were allowed in requests: e.g. (probably stating the
obvious) if someone would have some access to your server and would be able
to rename a protected directory.  Since munging happens at the moment of a
create of rename, the new munged filename might not be protected at all...

Elizabeth Mattijsen
xxLINK Internet Services