httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Elizabeth Mattijsen <...@xxLINK.nl>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:05:40 GMT
At 13:48 8/22/97 +0100, Mark Cox wrote:
>> 1. Match against both names, either matching counts as a match
>> 2. Match against both names, both matching counts as a match
>> 3. Match against the short name
>> 4. Match against the long name
>We have to do 1 otherwise any protection or options placed on
>a long name resource can be overridden by a user who works out they
>can also use the short name to get the same thing.

If it is possible to munge the requested filename before matching, I guess
the best solution would be to:

Match requested filename with long filename
AND
Match munged requested filename with short filename

Only if both match, is it a match as far as the daemon is concerned.

I guess the problem with this is that it is possible in Winxx platforms to
change the rules for filename munging in the Registry, and that it is
impossible for the Apache daemon to find out how filenames are munged?

Elizabeth Mattijsen
xxLINK Internet Services