httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Keep it simple
Date Tue, 19 Aug 1997 17:52:38 GMT

Regarding enhancing custom logging to do a bunch of conditional things,
named formats, replacements for mod_log_agent/referrer, etc:

I very strongly feel that this is a slippery slope for us to be walking
upon; that everything proposed here can be done completely *outside* the
web server software, with a perl script or even a separate binary program
we release.  Its inclusion in Apache will add code, directives, promises of
future support, and complexity, with not much gain over using a separate
process.  Dean's desire to see reliable piping to logging scripts is in
line with this, so that's cool, but I am very tempted to give a -1 to the
various other proposals.

Now that we have a fairly robust graceful restart system, rotating web logs
and running a perl script on them every day, hour, even 10 minutes is no
big deal.  What more do we have to gain by putting that logic directly in
Apache?  Let's write a really nice perl script and distribute that with
Apache.

Note that I am also in favor of efforts to formalize the error logging.

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org