httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Morris <bmor...@memetic.com>
Subject Re: Now I've gone and done it
Date Sat, 02 Aug 1997 16:27:25 GMT
At 10:54 AM 08/02/1997 -0500, Randy Terbush wrote:
>> At 10:36 PM 08/01/1997 -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>> >You forgot to say "don't plug it into the net!" :)
>> >
>> >Of course, I think the first thing I'd do after the basic install, is get
>> >all the damn service packs.
>> >
>> >Dean
>>
>> Another important thing is do _not_ attempt to run SQL and a webserver
>> on the same machine it will crash fairly often. I managed to get it to
crash
>> every 5-10 mins by trying to do a sort in SQL and returning the data
>> via IIS...
>
>Wonderful. That is the only reason it is getting electricity from
>me...

In theory there are SQL service packs available, that _may_ fix
the problems. I personally would suggest ditching IIS, and trying to run
apache
and use perl ODBC to interface to the database. Also VBscript is a horrible
language
that doesn't have an end of line marker... (like ; )

I suspect moving to apache if possible, since that _should_ be less rough
on the
database since apache doesn't have as many system integrations. I still can't
figgure out how to setup web based authentication properly.

>> The latest build of perl (http://www.activeware.com) is fairly
>> solid.
>> and it is prolly the easiest install.  Rebooting the machine fairly often
>> is also suggested, as NT (my machine at least) tends to slow to a crawl
>> instead
>> of crashing.
>>
>> Beyond that, the rest depends on what you are using it for.
>>
>> -bill
>
>Thanks. Interesting suggestions.

The other option is run the database on a unix server and the life should
be good.

Feel free to email me directly if you have specific problems.

example: dates are formated by default as M/d/yy so... when you pull them
out of
the database with IIS/VBscript thats how you get them. To change this to
mm/dd/yyyy
you need to open the "Regional Settings" control panel, goto the "date" tab
and
set your short date format.

-bill
"NT is a maze of twisty little config files, all alike, all different."
bmorris@memetic.com