httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Re: 1.1 capable browsers
Date Mon, 01 Sep 1997 06:04:14 GMT
	On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

	> Anyone know which of the existing browsers reuse connections in
	> HTTP?  That is, transfer more than one object per connection?  Also,

	HTTP doesn't have objects.

Are you being a sophist or just poking fun at me?  By object, I
meant a GIF stream, an HTML document, a AU recording, etc.  I
didn't want to say file because that makes assumptions about how
the server stores things (which might be generated on the fly).

	Most of the popular clients do multiple requests per connection, aka
	persistent connections aka keepalives.  Navigator 2.x and later
	(although 2.x is even more broken than most), MSIE 3.x (possibly
	earlier), and a good scattering of less common clients. Most of them
	do it using pre-HTTP/1.1 draft methods.

So the situation is less bleak than I thought.

	> I noticed that Netscape 4.0 doesn't have preferences for the number
	> of connections or the amount of buffer space for each...
	>
	> -Philip

Does NS 4.0 use a single connection?

-Philip