httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org>
Subject Re: init_modules was moved and it broke mod_perl
Date Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:57:37 GMT
Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > This will make the vhash line be printed on stderr ... ah well, that can
> > be commented out until we have logging levels.  So why is it that mod_perl
> > needs this double init?
>
> It needs 1 init but at an earlier stage. At the moment there's no Perl
> interpreter running when the config file(s) are parsed.

Exactly, the old way was like so:
first httpd config files read (mod_perl skips this pass)
first init_modules (mod_perl fires up Perl runtime)
second httpd config files read (mod_perl now handles <Perl> sections)
second init_module (mod_perl skips this pass)

> I've proposed an alternative solution to Doug (and Dean) off this list.
> Doug's not around at the moment, but when he returns he can decide if
> mod_perl can be tweaked to compensate.

Looks like this will work.  I'll try it out later and try to cut a
current from-cvs compatible mod_perl version tonight.

-Doug