httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <>
Subject Re: Proxy module: Support for ReceiveBufferSize
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 22:18:23 GMT
> From: Martin Kraemer <>
> Subject: Re: Proxy module: Support for ReceiveBufferSize
> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 21:38:03 +0200 (MET DST)

> Philip A. Prindeville wrote,
> > Has anyone else had a chance to test it?
> I've enabled it in my 1.3a2-dev server (ReceiveBufferSize 32k) but didn't
> do any benchmarks.

> One side effect I've been noticing around the same time I enabled it (but
> never tried to find the reason for) was that the output of a cgi-bin
> program (in this case, the counter program outputting a GIF image of 50kB)
> seems to noticeably slower (unbuffered?). Could ReceiveBufferSize have
> been the cause for this, or is it an unrelated effect?

Off the top of my head I can't think why that would cause it to stall.
Does your OS support TCP_NODELAY?  Some really old versions of TCP
would not close properly because the sequence number for the FIN would
always be off by one, but that should have been fixed in 4.3BSD.

And if your buffer size was less than the image that you are sending, then
that shouldn't have affected it so much.

>     Martin

View raw message