httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:18:21 GMT
Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote,
> Wouldn't it make sense then to indeed only check the requested filename
> with the long filename and not allow any munged filenames as a requested
> filename at all?

That would be what I'd propose.
If one ever needs to access "old" files, there's no problem either
because their short name==long name (minus possible case difference).

The original problem, if I followed the thread correctly, was that when
executing (CGI-?) programs, windows experiences bugs when long program
names are used.

However, when doing this...:

  C> copy \command.com "not a shell.com"
  1 File(s) copied

  C> "not a shell"  /c dir
  NOTASH~1.COM      95.382  21.10.96   7:04 not a shell.com

we can see that programs with spaces in their names can be executed, too.

    Martin