httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Spaces in Win32 executable names
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:54:31 GMT
Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote

> If it is possible to munge the requested filename before matching, I guess
> the best solution would be to:

No, because munging is nondeterministic. A specific mangled name can
at two points in time be "the short name" for two different long names.

Even worse: One long name can (again at two points in time) have two
different short names (when looking for a short name for a
to-be-created file, if the bla~1 is in use, the system tries bla~2
etc. until a free name is found).

The connection some-long-name <--> some-short-name is created when the
file is created/renamed. But the next time you try it, different
outcomings can result.

So it probably not useful to...
> Match requested filename with long filename
> AND
> Match munged requested filename with short filename
>
> Only if both match, is it a match as far as the daemon is concerned.

    Martin