httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite how-to-release.html
Date Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:06:18 GMT

In article <9708211647.aa24045@paris.ics.uci.edu> you wrote:
> >>   Remove suggestion to produce a sorted tar file -- there is nothing
> >>   professional about it, and it is always less reliable than using the
> >>   filesystem directly.
> >
> >How do you came across this statement, Roy? Why should be this less reliable?

> The software engineering definition of reliability has a lot to do with
> probability and Murphy's Law.  Basically, the more hands touch the data,
> the more likely that a bug will manifest, but compounding exponentially
> instead of linearly because people only test the things which are easiest
> to test.  That is why tar of a directory is reliable, tar using append is
> less reliable, and tar using append of a sorted list of names goes right
> down the tubes.

> I say it isn't "professional" to have sorted tar files because I am
> professional and I don't sort my tar files. :)

<grin> Then I'm the lamer... ;_)

> >Although I've no problem doing it the traditional poor man's way, I cannot see
> >the your point here.
> >
> >>   Use the -exec feature of find instead of an
> >>   unreliable pipe.  Use filesystem-based gzip and compress because they
> >>   are always more reliable than stdin/stdout processing.
> >
> ><grin> Can it be that you don't trust Unix pipes? Please Roy, what makes you
> >think these things or such problematic?

> For the same reason that it took so long for us to get the Apache
> buffering code right.  If there is a simpler/faster/more-often-tested
> solution available, use it.  Unix pipes are great, but why use them when
> you don't need to?

Why don't use them when we are able to use them?

Just a simple question, Roy: Have you ever read ``The UNIX Philosophy'' by
Mike Gancarz (ISBN 1-55558-123-4)?  If yes, I'm really fascinated about your
personal opinion on Unix pipes... ;_)

Ok, let us roll the tarball as commonly known to avoid endless philosophical
discussions now, ok? I don't like it, but accept your optinion. So, you
succeeded, Roy ;-)
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com