httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite how-to-release.html
Date Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:33:46 GMT

In article <199708210109.SAA04584@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

>   Remove suggestion to produce a sorted tar file -- there is nothing
>   professional about it, and it is always less reliable than using the
>   filesystem directly.

How do you came across this statement, Roy? Why should be this less reliable?
Although I've no problem doing it the traditional poor man's way, I cannot see
the your point here.

>   Use the -exec feature of find instead of an
>   unreliable pipe.  Use filesystem-based gzip and compress because they
>   are always more reliable than stdin/stdout processing.

<grin> Can it be that you don't trust Unix pipes? Please Roy, what makes you
think these things or such problematic?

>   There is nothing
>   wrong with gzip -9 (if you have encountered problems in the past, they
>   were due to the stdin processing and not gzip/gunzip).  Test the resulting
>   tar.gz file, because shit happens.

Ok, this can be correct. Although Marc said it produces ugly warnings under
some Tars I personally always used gzip -9 in the past and never had problems.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com