httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: [STATUS] Apache 1.2.3 (Tue 19-Aug-1997 10:41 MET DST)
Date Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:27:26 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.970819095315.3714K-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> >     o Binary tarballs issues:
> >
> >       For every platform marked with a "x" we now have to roll a binary
> >       distribution tarball. I've created the directory

> Erm.. I'm not sure what is special about those with an x.

The "special" is that they are the most wide-spread ones and they are those
where we have at least tested 1.2.3 on last week.

> >       ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/apache_1.2.3.binaries/ containing
> >           - directories named according to the actual platform tag

> I did not use the crated directories for putting my binary builds
> into.  The problem with them is that many of the names are too long
> to be shown properly in an index.  I like the naming scheme we use
> now for the binaries/ directory; individual binary tarballs can be
> named in various ways.  If there are several builds that fit into
> a name (eg. sunos_4.1.x on various architectures) then they
> can go in the same subdirectory.  Solaris is one of the bigger
> exceptions to that probably.

Take FreeBSD, Marc. Both the binary-tarball for 2.1.5 and 2.2.1 say is it
i386-unknown-freebsd because of GuessOS. You cannot put these in the same dir,
too.  So I though it would be best to directly use the more descriptive
tagnames from the STATUS table.

BTW: The current ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/binaries/ is in horrible
status. Some dirs are empty or named very vague while other are named more
descriptive, etc. So I really would like to see the more specific tagnames
from the STATUS table as the directories. Is this really a problem when some
are cut on Index lists? Ok, looks a little bit ugly, but non-detailed names
are not much better, I think. Hmmm..

> >           - a BinBuild directory containing a slightly changed
> >             binbuild.sh from Marc which used binbuild.README and
> >             binbuild.Configure files (also can be found there)
> >             ** USE THESE FILES TO CREATE A BINARY TARBALL **
> >       When releasing 1.2.3 the
> >       ftp://dev.apache.org/httpd/dist/apache_1.2.3.binaries/
> >       will be moved to
> >       ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/binaries/

> Remember that the old source should not be deleted, but moved to
> the "old" subdirectory.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com