httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Windows NT chap authentication protocol for http
Date Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:00:33 GMT
> MS decided to make up their own procol for http authentication, and they
> called it "Windows NT Challenge/Response password authentication".
>
> A minor description is at
> http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q146/8/15.htm, but I would have no
> idea where a spec for it would be if such a thing would exist...
>
> Is this the same thing that sent your NT login and password to any server
> that requested it?

I believe that they are one in the same. I _think_ this is what is
considered NTLM, but the NT gurus could probably set me straight
on this.

FYI - Digging around in DejaNews last night I ran across a guy who
was asking how to get in touch with the Apache group about giving
us some NTLM authentication code. Seems he is a member of the Samba
team. I've sent him mail to see if we can pull this in.