httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Question for the development team
Date Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:26:15 GMT
suEXEC currently doesn't do a chroot() for CGI execution. There are
several reasons that we did not take this extra step.

1. chroot() environments are not easy to setup
2. CGI often wants access to other tools outside of the local
   directory which would make it rather difficult to setup.
  (see item 1)
3. suEXEC already limits execution of CGI to a compiled in
   DOCUMENTROOT which offers _some_ of the benefit of a chroot()
   without the hassle.
4. suEXEC runs the CGI as the defined owner of the file. *In
   Theory* the CGI being executed can only do as much damage as
   that user has privledges to do.

It is all a matter of degree of risk. In a more hostile
environment, it may very well be worth making the changes to run in
a chroot'ed environment.