httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: apachen - 3rd-party modules
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:21:58 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >     My understanding is that the canonical procedure is to
> >
> >      1. Create a modules/foo directory.
> >      2. Populate it with mod_foo.c (and any other source/include files).
> >      3. Create a modules/foo/Makefile that knows the dependencies
> >         (especially the include files from ../../core).
> >      4. Insert an "AddModule modules/foo/mod_foo.o" into Configuration.
> >
> >     I don't see any other way of doing it, short of an immense effort on
> >     the part of Configure or its ilk to figure out the dependencies -
> >     and even that couldn't work on a multi-source module like the proxy.
> Okay, then. -1 on the whole source re-org until we can figure out a way
> to let the one-file modules that we've been using since 0.8 work with
> 1.3. I'm not going to let us require that every module author create their own
> Makefile for a dinky little ten-line module. Especially since it would
> mean that we'd have to explain to all our users how to use their modules
> that work with 1.0 and 1.1 and 1.2 (and will still compile just fine with
> 1.3), and explain how to create a Makefile. Doesn't sounds like a good
> idea to me.
> The whole idea of the source reorg is to have things make more sense,
> and work better, not the other way around.

Well, a quick and dirty way would simply be to allow modules to
exist in a separate src directory, such as ./src/modules and then
have Configure/Makefile work as "normal" (ie: non-apachen) does.
This allows _some_ level of source reorg by placing the modules
in their own seperate directory.

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |