httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Re: [CFV]: mod_speling revived
Date Tue, 12 Aug 1997 03:53:40 GMT
> *   do "real" spelling correction (i.e., a one-character typo, an extra
>     char, an omitted char, or a transposition) are fixed, in addition to
>     the old feature (miscapitalization only). More than one character
>     errors seem rather risky to fix. Bad Things (TM) could happen ;-)
>     The code to do this was taken from the tcsh "spelling correction".

It seems to me that the pattern matching code in AGREP might be more
appropriate since it lets you weight insertions, deletions,
transpositions, etc.  For some languages, this is better since some
letter combinations sound similar.  Examples, 'g' and 'ch' in Dutch,
or 's' and 'zs' in Hungarian, etc.

In fact, the weights for various changes could be included in the
localisation information.

I've never had great luck with tcsh's name munging, and it oftentimes
it is just way off...

-Philip