httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Proposed ANNOUNCE for 1.2.2 (II)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:15:37 GMT

In article <> you wrote:
> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > > No, there is a real problem. There will now be servers out there running
> > > a version called 1.2.2 which is not the "real" 1.2.2.
> >
> > Why? We never have released it. We just put into httpd/dist/.  Ok, someone
> > could grab it from there but then you had seen a message (README) via FTP
> > which said that this is not a release version.  But, ok, I see your point.
> > Hmmm... but now I cannot reverse it. I can just say sorry, I didn't know
> > because the how_to_release didn't mention this exact procedure for multiple
> > pre-release tarballs. Next time someone will do it "the correct way". Ok? ;-)

> Fair enough. The correct thing to do in this case, though, is to note
> that 1.2.2 was never released, and bump the version to 1.2.3 for final
> release (and 1.2.3-dev for prerelease).

Ok, while I personally don't think this little problem is such problematic, I
have no problem with bumping up to 1.2.3 and rerolling a 1.2.3-dev again (YES,
1.2.3-dev and not 1.2.3, I learn as you can see.... ;-). But others have to
decide what we should do. I accept every decision.

BTW: The 1.2.2 which someone could be grabbed from /httpd/dist/ and actually
     installed are nearly what we call the final 1.2.2 because they contain
     only two patches less then the final 1.2.2 currently in /httpd/dist/. So
     I don't expect any other bugs from these pre-releases then for the final
     1.2.2. When all our problems are that we get bug-reports for these
     (internal) pre-releases then we can be 95% sure that these bugreports
     do not contain bugs which are just related to these pre-releases.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message