httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Proposed ANNOUNCE for 1.2.2 (II)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:56:05 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.970810130721.5620H-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.970809160919.7198J-100000@valis.worldgate.com>
you wrote:

> > > Am I missing something here?  1.2.2 has already been tagged too, which I
> > > wasn't aware of...
> >
> > I tagged it already for the 2nd tarball (the currently existing one).  Because
> > this tarball should be the final one. If not, this is no problem: We just add
> > another patch and retag via "cvs tag -F ..". So, really no problem. Just a
> > little but confusing. But its better to just copy the working tarball from
> > httpd/dist/ to apache/dist/ instead of rerolling and perhaps introducing new
> > problems.

> It is a problem because it was not communicated clearly what was going on.
> I know it is easy to retag (BTDT) but it needs to be explicitly said what
> the tarball is.  It also presents a problem with keeping the version at
> 1.2.2 for extended periods.

Hmmmm... then please show me how I have to roll the tarball which should act
first as a pre-release and (if successfully tested) as the final tarball?  I
have to change the version to 1.2.2 and tag the source. The idea was to retag
only when new patches occur or the tarball failed. Ok, the 2nd pre-release
tarball is still successfull, but because of your patch I adjusted the
APACHE_1_2_2 tag and do a 3nd tarball for the final release. No problem.  And
I couln't said this before because before I didn't know that we need a 3nd
tarball....

Marc, I really don't know a way to produce a proposed tarball without changing
version to 1.2.2 and tagging the sources when we really want to use this
tarball for final release. Or did I miss something?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com