httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Esselink" <eesse...@sirius.com>
Subject Re: got the license for InstallShield
Date Sat, 09 Aug 1997 07:50:06 GMT
Ahhh, it's a M$ trick ! You can build your products on NT using
VC, but that only works with certain DLL's.

These runtime dll's hold all function calls that are provided by MS.
So if you call strstr runtime call, it maps to a certain dll which will
execute the function. They have done this to be able to upgrade
the system piece by piece.
Since you can't build on NT, you need to provide these dll's
also (when not already present).

For example :
If i build the apache using VC 4.2 , i need different dll's then
when i build using VC 5.0 .

You probably think by now 'hey that sucks!', but think about it...
With each new release of VC is MS able to stuff in more
functions ! They call it software evolution, enable MS to
continuously upgrade NT.