httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Esselink" <eesse...@sirius.com>
Subject Re: got the license for InstallShield
Date Sat, 09 Aug 1997 07:28:28 GMT
The exe will contain everything, including sources. However there are
three choices in installing :
- Typical
- Compact
- Custom
Both typical and compact will NOT install the sources. For sources you'll
need to select Custom (and then select sources).

> whatever configuration files InstallShield needs, though, so people who
> owned InstallShield (including the Apache Group, when it creates the
> binary version of Apache/Windows) could create our installer.
Allowing others to change the setup, and possible break it, is asking for
troubles. They can install the sources and therefore change the WebServer,
but i think if they want to make their own install sets then they make
their own.
If we would allow it then changed installsets might cause an avalanche of
problems directed at us...

> I'd like to be able to include the tools that create the InstallShield
> with the source releases, so that those downloading the source can play
> with it.
To put it short : it's illegal ! It's not nice to bite the hand that feeds
you...

> As we've agreed before, since 99.9% of Windows users do not own
> compilers, wheras 99.9% of Unix users do, it is perferable to more
NT is a totally different world, which requires totally different rules...

----------
> From: Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>
> To: new-httpd@apache.org
> Subject: Re: got the license for InstallShield
> Date: Friday, August 08, 1997 11:09 AM
>
> On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > We got a license for InstallShield for Apache NT.  They'll be emailing
the
> > paperwork; I had it made out to "the Apache Group", which is what our
code
> > license is under.  This is InstallShield 5, with "Packaged for the
Web",