httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Proposed ANNOUNCE for 1.2.2
Date Thu, 07 Aug 1997 09:20:02 GMT

Below is the proposed ANNOUNCE message I've hacked together from the old 1.2.1
message. Please adjust it as you want, because english is not my native
language. Also please have a look at the notable changes list. I hope these
are the major ones, but correct me if I'm wrong.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

|Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Apache 1.2.2 Released
|Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
|To: apache-announce@apache.org

Greetings:

We would like to announce the availability of the Apache webserver
software version 1.2.2. It is recommended that users of earlier
versions of the Apache webserver upgrade their installations.

Notable changes in this release include:

   * The internal transfer buffer handling was enhanced for better
     data chunking and error handling. This also reduces the pause on
     transfers under certain conditions.

   * <VirtualHost> sections are now correctly override the main
     server configuration.

   * Added "downgrade-1.0" variable for use with mod_browser
     to downgrade Apache to HTTP/1.0 even when the request was of type
     HTTP/1.1. This can be used to workaround problems with the latest MSIE
     4.0b2 browser. Add this line to your httpd.conf file:
     ``BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive \
                                   force-response-1.0 downgrade-1.0''
     That disables keep-alive, and causes Apache to pretend it is talking
     with a 1.0 client whenever it recieves a request from MSIE 4.0 PR2.

   * Full integration of the last externally available mod_rewrite
     version into Apache Group's source repository and inclusion of essential
     bugfixes from the ongoing Apache 1.3 development line.

   * A change in 1.2.1 introduced a problem with SIGHUP
     under Solaris 2.x (up through 2.5.1). This has been fixed now.

See the main Apache website (http://www.apache.org/) for downloading
instructions. This site also includes pointers to many mirror sites
that may be closer to you.

Share and enjoy!

Changes with Apache 1.2.2:

   . . . .