httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: RFD: Apache Regression Test Suite (ARTS) !!
Date Wed, 06 Aug 1997 09:31:34 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95dg3.970806020038.28261J-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> >    1. We use software leverage and take advantage of Perl's Test::Harness and
> >       LWP packages.

> This lets you do basic tests of config functionality ... but how easy
> would it be to verify protocol correctness?  I imagine that's as easy as
> using one of the chat packages and parsing results more verbosely.  Can
> LWP issue 1.1 requests?

Sure, it can (from the manpage of HTTP::Message):

| $mess->protocol([$proto])
|
| Sets the HTTP protocol used for the message.  The
| protocol() is a string like "HTTP/1.0" or "HTTP/1.1".

And we can provide any HTTP/1.1 headers, too.

With ARTS we cannot just test for config directives working correct (i.e. test
if the resulting data is as we expect, etc.).  We can really do protocol
tests! Because in ARTS you have direct access to complete HTTP response,
even all headers and response code, etc. Everythink which you can see get
"telnet server 80 ...." etc. you have available with LWP in ARTS.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com