httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Esselink" <eesse...@sirius.com>
Subject Re: localization of apache.org content/apache server
Date Wed, 06 Aug 1997 07:11:40 GMT
Yeah, i love Installshield also. It is used by approx. 75% of all NT
programs ! My goal is to have an executable, which you double click
on the execute and that's the only thing you need to do. The InstallShield
script takes care of adjusting the default config files (like paths and so
on).
After installing, the Apache WebServer for NT is up and running...

There are only two problems :
[1] making it, which will take me some time (1~2 weeks)
     I already build an installable NT version using InstallShield Express,
but
     it is to limited since it can't adjust the config files.
     I'm rebuilding it in InstallShield 5, so this time the install script
can change
     the config files as well.

[2] Licensing, Apache Inc. needs to have a written agreement from
     InstallShield Corp. to distribute the exe file (which contains the
apache program).
     Their current licensing stuff says that if you buy InstallShield, your
     have an UNLIMITED license agreement. Meaning : buys once,
     distribute millions of installable exe's (not installshield itself of
course).
     Price : $800 which isn't bad but maybe Brian can get us a free copy
    or at least agreement to distribute it without buying InstallShield.
    Currently i'm using a trial version.
    InstallShield URL : www.installshield.com

The other things that need to happen for Apache4NT :
- Switch from config files to NT Registry
- Make GUI tool to admin the Apache WebServer.
  I know you Unix guys don't care much about Gui stuff, but on NT
  it must be done. Without it, users will reject it !
- Make it work with Microsoft Frontpage, so the content can be administered
easily.

Demands on NT products are generally higher, at least on some aspects,
because
people expect easy to use, easy to learn products. Spoiled by MS products,
everything must be easy. People responsible for NT server are most times
less
experienced the Unix admin's.

-