httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: RFD: Apache Regression Test Suite (ARTS) !!
Date Tue, 05 Aug 1997 19:34:53 GMT
Hello Marc Slemko, in a previous mail you wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > Yesterday I've tried to start the Apache Documentation Project (ADP) by
> > initially evualiting tools and then establishing the SGML skeleton an the
> > first content. Today I've tried to start another important project:
> >
> >    The Apache Regression Test Suite (ARTS)
>
> So, what are you planning for tomorrow? <g>

If you ask you get an answer: Not for tomorror but for the near future: An M4
macro set to generate the httpd.conf file more easily by just specifying a few
directives ;-) Already done by me some months ago but still not in a state I
can start a RFD for it...

> > As discussed in the past, Apache needs such a test suite. So I've browsed
> > through my brain and knowledge again and established such a beasts runtime
> > engine end environment and the first two tests itself.
> >
> > The idea is the following:
> >    1. We use software leverage and take advantage of Perl's Test::Harness and
> >       LWP packages.
> >    2. We provide a Makefile and a bootstrapping script to be able to easily
> >       apply the test suite to a particular httpd.
> >    3. We provide utilitiy functions to make the individual tests as short as
> >       possible while providing as much flexibility we can.
>
> Exactly what sort of tests are we talking about?  It is not a bad idea,
> but I am wary of the work it would take to establish a usefully complete
> set of tests.

Any sort of tests for the internal working of Apache. The final test suite
should contain tests for every module in a whole and for the most important
features of those modules. For instance for mod_rewrite there should be
between 5 and 10 tests. One which tests if the engine works at all, one which
tests a particular RewriteRule, one which tests a RewriteRule in conjunction
with a RewriteCond, etc. pp. Same approach as for perl where every operand is
tested. For Apache at leas every directive should become a test.  And if we
have time we can add more deeper tests.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com