httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Re: segfaults on CGI's with current CVS snapshot
Date Tue, 05 Aug 1997 19:12:32 GMT
> To: new-httpd@apache.org
> Subject: Re: segfaults on CGI's with current CVS snapshot
> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 19:58:07 -0500
> From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>

> Last time I tried to use a debugging malloc tool, it was not very
> productive due to the very tolerant memory allocation mechanism in
> Apache. It would sure be nice if there could be some sort of debug
> mode that could check pool allocation and deallocation mechanisms
> for these sorts of problems....  Just one for the wish list.

I've used Purify on Perl, which wasn't obvious it would work, because
Perl manages its own pools of memory.  However, Purify doesn't rely
on the calls to malloc being intercepted or even that the malloc
header be preserved.  It simply scans memory for pointers to chunks
of allocated memory.  If a chunk exists without a pointer to it, it
is considered unreferenced, and hence a leak.

Purify is pretty clever about verifying references, too...  Helped
me more than once find leaks in xsubs.

Of course, it is made for one-shot debugging, not something you would
ship with the product and then enable when necessary.

-Philip