httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: 1.3a1
Date Tue, 15 Jul 1997 03:13:12 GMT
> The question is whether we want to do this for 1.3a1. In other words, do
> we want to make this release of Apache available for all Windows users,
> or just those with compilers? The rationale for the latter would be to
> cut down the testers to those who presumably know what they're doing and
> would report bugs in a realistic fashion. It would, however, cut down
> substantially on the amount of people who might try out the package.
>
> Any thoughts?

One thing we might need to establish is how many people within the group
here, have actually compiled and tried the Win32 version.  Ben, Alexei,
Ambarish (obviously) and myself are the only ones I know of.  I think that
if within this group we can only pull together 4 people to test the source
version, we are going to have a really tough time getting a lot of outside
testers.  And if we do release a source version, I have a feeling that
within hours there will be all sorts of binary versions floating about
anyway.  We may as well keep some control over how the thing is compiled
and release a binary version so we have some hope of determining whether a
reported problem is a genuine bug or somebody who didn't know how to use
their compiler.

-Rasmus