httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: hostname lookups
Date Tue, 01 Jul 1997 14:58:19 GMT
On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Ok I'll revert the 1.2.1 changes.  The main intention of making the
> default off is to prevent new sites from coming online with
> hostnamelookups when they don't really need them.  But I guess enough
> people start from the .conf-dist files and just edit back in their own
> local changes that it'll be an issue.  I always assume people know they
> can just use their existing config files.
> It may be possible to add a warning in mod_access during config time that
> says "hostname lookups are off, but you've asked for resolution based on
> hostnames".

Why not switch them OFF by default and add a Makefile step which halts
the make until the user has read "READ.THIS.FIRST" and touched some
file that signifies they've been educated about the important change.

It's not just in the interest of the server owners to switch off unecessary
name lookups, it's a huge speed gain for all of us who use the web
and stare and Netscrape's status bar saying "host contacted - waiting for
response" when hitting a new site for the first time.

Rob Hartill                              Internet Movie Database (Ltd)   .. a site for sore eyes.

View raw message