httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: anonymous CVS access (fwd)
Date Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:51:57 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> So where is bandwidth coming from right now?  Looks like Organic
> to me, no?  What is different from how it was before?  I've never
> understood the relationship between Wired and Organic.

At the moment it's still organic bandwidth ... because wired's border
routers aren't configured yet to allow hyperreal's old addresses to send
packets out.  Brian and I put it on the dmz on Monday night.

Wired and Organic are in the same building, and Hotwired started out there
as well.  Way ages ago Wired had connectivity to Sprint and TLG, and at
that time Organic (and a few others in the same building) bought bandwidth
from Wired.  Then along came, um, I think it was www.levi.com, wasn't it
Brian?  Organic was hosting www.levi.com, and, well it became popular
enough that it saturated all the bandwidth available.

Organic then ordered their own connectivity from UUnet.  A third company
entered the picture: BigBook (they were in a building just down the
block).  Organic and BigBook started doing backup for each other, so they
have UUnet and MCI connectivity.  The connection between Wired and Organic
is still in place (why waste an existing 10baseT connection?).  Hotwired
moved down the street, got big pipes to BBN and MCI, moved the Sprint
connectivity to the new building, and now has multiple radio T1s and a
backup T1 in the ground that connects it to the wired/organic building.
And if this wasn't incestuous enough yet, bigbook moved into the same
building as hotwired, bringing even more redundant connections between the
buildings (and another 10baseT connected to hotwired that's still waiting
for a 'roundtuit to bring up).

The three companies are in a sort of "triangle" of networks (well, the
bb/hw side isn't live right now).  They share BGP... bb and organic share
almost full bgp and share live traffic, but none of that goes over the dmz
between wired and organic ('cept in an emergency).  Wired and organic, and
wired and bb share bgp only for the purpose of local traffic.

> Oh, and what else is on that segment?  Just thinking of if we put
> another machine there and Brian didn't want to do everything (guess
> we need another person or two with root on it anyway), is there
> anything else on the segment that would make any great powers uneasy
> that it could be sniffed?

A switch or bridge can be put in place.  In fact there's a bridge lying
around that used to do a similar job when organic was buying bandwidth
from wired.  At any rate there's a need for a switch in wired's closet
anyhow, and the inexpensive 3com linkswitch 1000s do VLAN.

The only traffic on that segment otherwise is basic web browsing and
usenet reading.  For the most part it's safe, but still worth bridging.

All three companies have been pretty cool about letting employees have net
bandwidth for their projects... wired's "employee closet" even has a
switch dedicated to the employee lan, so that snooping between machines
isn't as huge an issue.  I still consult periodically for hotwired, which
is how I'm keeping my machine there :)  It's cheaper than a colo.

Dean

P.S. When the whole "triangle" was being set up the first time we gave
thought to building a "multi-media gulch NAP" ;)  Three buildings, three
diverse paths to the net... it all seemed logical.  But none of us had
enough time to put to such a project.