httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache VirtualHost Hashing vs Linear-Listing (fwd)
Date Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:48:39 GMT
Very cool.  Very cool.  I'll go over it with a fine-tooth comb this
weekend.  Unless someone else is keen I'll do the cleanups that Dave
mentions and resubmit it against 1.3-dev.

I think all I'll do is create a bucket specifically for the main server
addresses, and do a linear lookup on it when necessary.  I've had ideas
about how to hash name-based vhosts... you have to deal with ServerAlias
as well as ServerName.  But with some restrictions on wildcards in
ServerAlias (i.e. unless everything has unique trailing 2 or 3 component
suffixes no hashing will be done) it's possible to get a nice hash.
ServerPath too has possibilities if you dictate that everything needs at
least one component for a hash to be formed ... but, I don't feel like
doing this at the moment :)  Essentially it would target the ISPs who do
name-vhosts like this:

<VirtualHost a.b.c.d>
ServerName www.foobar.com
ServerAlias *.foobar.com foobar.com