httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: IE4 PR2
Date Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:17:15 GMT
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, sameer wrote:

> > Allow me to curse now.  Apache and Jigsaw are the only two released 1.1
> > servers.  How hard would it have been for them to test against apache.
>
> 	The 'Product Reviewers Guide' for IIS claims that IIS and NS
> Enterprise both support HTTP 1.1, FWIW.

Interesting.  www.microsoft.com does not respond in 1.1 to 1.1 requests.

Ok more data on where the potential problem is.

live.wired.com is a redirect to www.hotwired.com/livewired.  IE4 PR2 hangs
completely if you enter live.wired.com.  If you ask live.wired.com a
1.1 request, here's what you get:

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:51:58 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2b11-dev HotWired/1.2
Location: http://www.hotwired.com/livewired/
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

bb
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Moved Temporarily</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Moved Temporarily</H1>
The document has moved <A HREF="http://www.hotwired.com/livewired/">here</A>.<P>
</BODY></HTML>

0

That's correct, and valid.  But the following are potential problems
where they could have screwed up:

- the connection is kept-alive, because all HTTP/1.1 connections are kept-alive

- it's chunked, because a client MUST implement chunked encodings

- the bb is actually "bb ", with the trailing space (because that's how I
  implemented it, for speed -- apache guessed the chunk would require three
  digits to represent, but it only took two).  The standard allows
  trailing but not leading spaces on the chunk length.  There was a PR
  about this ages ago, so I expect this to be a common problem.

I've given the wired folks a workaround for each of the cases, I'll
hopefully know soon if any of them helped.

Dean