httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache/Win: DLL exports
Date Tue, 15 Jul 1997 06:57:53 GMT
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> The way I *think* it works, although I can find no direct proof,
> is somewhere in the middle: I've seen some evidence that DLLs export
> functions ordinally. In other words, rputs(), say, is the 43rd function
> exported from ApacheCore.dll. When ApacheCore.lib is linked, and you try
> and access rputs(), ApacheCore.lib loads ApacheCore.dll and maps its
> rputs() to the address of the 43rd exported function in
> ApacheCore.dll.

This is how the OS/2 and WIN 3.1 formats work.  I'm pretty sure NT is the
same.  You can probably find the executable format documention on microsoft's
site somewhere.  In your microsoft compiler package there's probably an
object dumping or executable dumping program from which you can probably
figure out the format.  Or maybe they don't ship those... I should have one
with the WATCOM compiler package I've got around here somewhere.

Dean