httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: reliable piped logs
Date Mon, 07 Jul 1997 17:05:54 GMT
syslog over the net uses UDP and is therefore unreliable.  It depends on
what you want out of it really.  Cisco routers log a message number with
each log message, going up 1 by 1, so you can guess how many messages
you've lost.  Under heavy loads it's not atypical to see sequences of
dropped messages.  You could do the same thing with an external log
program because it has the opportunity to sequence the messages.

Dean