httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: reliable piped logs
Date Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:16:52 GMT
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Yes, I am working on the logging stuff. I backed off recently
> trying to come up with a way to allow a syslog option to the
> logging stuff. I know that there has been some skepticism about the
> overhead of syslog for this, but I need to come up with some way
> that load balanced servers could log to one place on the net. That
> seems to be the logical solution.

You're talking just about error logs right?

At any rate, this would work:

ErrorLog |logger -p local3.info -t httpd

And you can use it when piped children are reliable :)  Only problem
is passing severities to syslog ... but that too could be done by a
small perl script that talks apache log format (whatever that is!) and
syslog format.

Dean