httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: reliable piped logs
Date Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:03:00 GMT
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
> Along these same lines, I've been stewing on the idea of a
> configuration server that was spawned at startup. It would make
> sense that the logger and config server could be the same process
> handling the double duty.

But I'm thinking of this logger as just the "| task name" parameter
in TransferLog, ErrorLog, etc.

What would the config server do anyhow?

> Also on this topic, for load balanced situations, it would be nice
> to be able to point one server to another as the primary log host,
> or even more cool, to give it a list of server priorities allowing
> it to fallback to an alternate log host if the first choice went
> away.

Oh I wasn't ever advocating bopping these log entries onto the net :)  I
just wanted to get them into a unix-domain socket, which lives in the
filesystem.  KISS.  If a user needs/wants to log onto the net they
should be able to do it through the logger program they use in their
pipe.

Dean