httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache and threading (was Re: www.jpl.nasa.gov)
Date Mon, 07 Jul 1997 02:35:32 GMT
I took another look, in case I was hallucinating last time I checked
this server.  It's averaging 100k unshared per child right now (based
on ps -max which displays the number of shared pages).  Task gunk takes
about 12k on linux, and so accounting 112k per task I get about 30Mb.
The system reports 38Mb of RAM in use (non-disk page).  So it checks out.

Incidentally this server and its twin run hourly restarts and the parents
have been going for over 2.7 million seconds, almost a month!

Anyone know how to get the same data from a solaris box?  I haven't seen
a method of determining shared pages.

I guess I need to rethink my attitude towards threads if linux is the only
one that somehow manages to be this aggressive.  Or perhaps we're doing
something silly that causes unsharing on the other systems.

Dean