httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Source re-org / Don't Panic
Date Sun, 27 Jul 1997 12:48:12 GMT
On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> At 10:44 PM 7/26/97 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> >Under the hood, all the source files have moved: all modules previously in
> >src are in modules/standard, other source files are in core, os specific
> >files are in os/{unix,nt,emx} (currently empty) and support is now under
> >src rather than the root.
>
> Just an idea - modules/standard for modules we typically compile in
> binary distributions, and modules/extra for things like mod_proxy &
> mod_rewrite?
> I want to leave modules/contrib for a separately-distributed "power pack"
> idea I'll share later :)

Yeah, that's possible. Basically you can throw whatever modules you want
into any subdirectories of src/modules. I think I'd prefer to keep
mod_proxy in its own sub-directory, though. Note that the documentation
refers to modules as either "base" or "extension", so it might be worth
thinking about using modules/base and modules/extension, for consistency.
Umm, a modules/contrib sounds good as well.

Incidently it is *very* easy to create a new module directory. Just create
it uner modules, throw in the module source file(s), then add a
Makefile.tmpl with _just_ the dependencies. Configure will create all the
rules needed for the real makefile depending on what's in Configuration.
Modules can either be thrown in together, like modules/standard currently,
or given their own directories, like modules/proxy and modules/example.

//pcs