httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic loading of Windows modules (+mod_dll.c_
Date Wed, 09 Jul 1997 21:55:11 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > I personally am ambivilent as to whether or not
> > the Apache binary should be called 'httpd' or 'apache'; apache is somewhat
> > more descriptive of the product, httpd is descriptive of the purpose,
> > which is somewhat traditional in Unix.

Is this a serious suggestion? If so I'm strongly in favour of naming the
compiled executable "apache" or "apached". It was only called httpd
because that was the name of the NCSA _product_ (i.e. NCSA httpd). Now the
product name has changed, so should the executable. It is also a bit
unfriendly towards other servers that implement the protocol; it seems to
say "I'm the only real http daemon".

> There are many counterexamples:
> innd (not nntpd/nnrpd)

Erm, isn't nnrpd the name of the reader daemon? innd implemented bulk
NNTP, and nntpd did client NNTP. Long time since I managed a news service,
so maybe I'm going dizzy.

//pcs