httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Unixisms in Apache NT
Date Wed, 09 Jul 1997 21:46:51 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > An assumption. I don't have VC++ 4, but when I load a VC++ 4 makefile, it
> > tells me it's converting it, and that it won't work with older versions
> > anymore. Also, VC++ 4 makefiles seem to work with just the makefile. VC++
> > 5 makefiles require another file as well (I forget the file extension at
> > the moment), or Visual C++ won't load them.
>
> .mdp? How do you build then? Create a new project from scratch?

.mdp is dead. The new files are .dsp and .dsw. Along with an apparently
completely incompatible .mak file format this is a definite Microsoft
evilness (one other being that the makefile is no longer updated to
reflect configuration changes unless you explicitly request it to be
exported, and then it takes literally _minutes_ to save it). So if one
developer moves to VC5, everyone else on the same project is virtual
forced to buy VC5 as well. Yuck.

Alexei: if your project built from the command line is different to inside
VC5, did you export the makefile first? It is on menu Tools|Export
Makefile. You can turn on an option to save the makefile everytime you
save the dsw/dsp files, but it _really_ slows things down.

//pcs

PS another evilness is merging the win32 SDK with MS application SDKs like
BackOffice, SQL server, MSExchange and ActiveX to create a "platform SDK".
More like a "lock-in to MS products only" SDK.