httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: 1.3a1
Date Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:35:30 GMT
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> One thing we might need to establish is how many people within the group
> here, have actually compiled and tried the Win32 version.  Ben, Alexei,
> Ambarish (obviously) and myself are the only ones I know of.  I think that
> if within this group we can only pull together 4 people to test the source
> version, we are going to have a really tough time getting a lot of outside
> testers.  And if we do release a source version, I have a feeling that

Except that the Apache Group is, on the whole, a Unix-based
development team. No one joined the group (except recently) with the
expectation of working on Windows; I imagine there are large hordes of
Windows developers who would never before have even thought of working
on Apache who now will.

> within hours there will be all sorts of binary versions floating about
> anyway.  We may as well keep some control over how the thing is compiled
> and release a binary version so we have some hope of determining whether a
> reported problem is a genuine bug or somebody who didn't know how to use
> their compiler.

That is a valid point, though.