httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Phillips <pa...@go2net.com>
Subject Re: Apache + mod_perl on Solaris
Date Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:15:41 GMT

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> One other option, should memory be an issue and you have a lot of
> lightweight requests that don't need memory, is to use either Apache as a
> front end proxy, or use squid as a front end accelerator.  Both give you
> the flexibility of supporting lots of lightweight connections, and pushing
> the heavyweight onto another Apache+mod_perl.

Taking some measure along these lines is strongly recommended,
even if memory isn't an issue.  We had some pretty serious performance
problems with apache+mod_perl on ultra-2's with 256MB until we moved
image serving to another server running zeus (don't shoot me.) Our
httpd binaries are 4.5 MB stripped, so you can imagine that process
creation is expensive.  Much better to let mod_perl do mod_perlish
things.

--
Paul Phillips      | Cyanide is so poisonous that one drop of it on a dog's
Lost Sheep         | tongue will kill the strongest man.